Job Posting – Pic Mobert First Nation: Band Representative
Purpose and Scope: Under the direction of the Manager of Health and Social Services, the Band
Representative is a highly motivated individual with exceptional advocacy skills, possessing knowledge
of the Ontario Child, Youth and Family Services Act (CYFSA) and its application for the First Nation and
its members. The Band Representative acts on behalf of the First Nation as a party in the court
proceedings involving the First Nation’s children and youth under CYFSA. The role of the Band
Representative is to protect the collective best interest of the First Nation’s children and to ensure a
culturally appropriate disposition of the case. The Band Representative ensures that every notification
from a Child Welfare Agency is responded to within required time.
This is a full-time position for 35-40 hours per week. The Band Representative must be flexible and
available for on-call after hours and during weekends as required.
- A minimum, Post-Secondary Diploma in Social Work/Law Clerk/Child and Youth Worker or related field;
- A minimum of 3 years of Social Services experience with First Nations;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and own vehicle;
- Must provide a Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Check;
- Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screening.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the First Nation’s Interest in Child, Youth and Family Services Act (Ontario) and proceedings involving the First Nation’s children;
- Able to interpret legislation and legal documents;
- Knowledge of Case Management techniques;
- Strong written and oral skills;
- Strong negotiation skills, techniques and advocacy;
- Willing to work flexible hours and travel with minimal notice;
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential subject matter;
- Strong computer skills with experience using word processing software.
Considered an asset:
- Full understanding of Customary Care;
- Experience with Alternative Dispute Resolution;
- Experience within a multi-disciplinary team approach;
- Experience working with children, youth and families.
General Activities: Depending on the particular case, the Band Representative may undertake the
following range of activities, as provided for by the CYFSA:
- To liaise with other First Nation Band Representatives, Agencies and Legal Counsel;
- Accompany Children’s Aid Service workers during investigations in Pic Mobert First Nation territory;
- Ensure that Pic Mobert First Nation members are fully aware of their rights in child welfare proceedings;
- Develop and implement protocols with Child and Family Services and CASs engaged with Pic Mobert First Nation members;
- Develop a working relationship with all Child and Family Services and CASs engaged with Pic Mobert First Nation members;
- Liaises with the Pic Mobert First Nation and the CAS;
- Liaises with the Pic Mobert First Nation member families and the CAS;
- Provides family support services that promotes the culture and aspirations of the Pic Mobert First Nation;
- Supports identifying community and family placements for Pic Mobert First Nation children youth.
- Represent the Pic Mobert First Nation at Court as a Party to Child Welfare proceedings;
- Prepare Plans of Care, including recommendations for placement of children;
- Prepare, respond to, and process legal documents as required;
- Supports alternative dispute resolution in place of court proceedings;
- Provides knowledge, awareness and promotion of the Pic Mobert First Nation’s position and interests to courts, Children’s Aid Societies and other agencies;
- Engages legal counsel to support the preparation of court documents and to represent the First Nation in court on complex matters.
- Compile all relevant case-related information and documentation;
- Liaise with community service;
- Coordinate Case Management Conferences with all community services involved to monitor Client’s plan of care and progress Legal Responsibilities;
- Prepare, serve and file additions or amendments to the Client’s Plan Of Care;
- Gather evidence, prepare arguments, produce and prepare witnesses and prepare draft orders;
- Prepare for and attend settlement conferences to represent the First Nation interests;
- Oral and written presentations in court, as required.
- Ensure client files are maintained and updated on a regular basis;
- Report to his/her immediate supervisor and Chief and Council, as directed;
- Data collection and submission of reports.
How to Apply:
- Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off resume at the Pic Mobert First Nation Band Office, C/O Shawna Fedoruk, EDO
- Closing date Friday February 22 nd at 4:30pm
- Clearly state “Competition Band Representative” in the email subject line